Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Nom.

September 21, 2008.

That was the day I made the decision to become a Vegetarian. It is probably one of the best decisions I have ever made, not to mention, the quickest. I had contemplated it a lot in the past year, but could never commit. For the longest time, chicken fingers and Chinese food were my weakness.

But, that Sunday night I had dinner at IPanema with a Vegan. Needless to say, it did not take him long to convince me that being a Vegetarian wouldn't be that difficult and that I should definitely do it. The Vegetarian dinner I had was good, so I figured, why not?

The first few weeks after that, when my family found out that I was a Vegetarian, were full of sarcastic remarks and criticisms. My parents challenged the reason for me going Veg and when I told them about the health benefits, they just disregarded them like they were completely absurd. The best comment of all, though, was when they said this:

"We knew you were gonna start being weird once you got to VCU."

...Really? Wow. Thanks, Mom and Dad.

Not that I would ever revert back to eating meat, but that comment just made me even more motivated to do this right and prove them wrong.

66 days have passed and I am still a Vegetarian. Still going strong. Don't miss meat at all. If it weren't for ice cream and my Italian grandma's home-made bread, I'd probably become Vegan.

But anyways, Thanksgiving is Thursday. First Thanksgiving where I won't be able to eat half the food on the table. So stoked about it. I thought about getting one of those obnoxious "Meat Is Murder" tees and wearing it to Thanksgiving dinner, but decided against it because a. my grandmother would probably have a heart attack and b. I have absolutely no cash.

Maybe next year, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha nicole i love you.
tshirt it baddd iderr,

the title made me literally lol.
: NOM

Nicole said...

hahhaha <3 you too
and I knew you'd like that name.